Joe Schwartz | DNA Testing Editor
Our chief content editor, Joe manages a diverse team of content writers. He holds a degree in online communications and his writing has been featured in a wide range of online publications.
Orig3n is a biotechnology company which offers DNA testing that provides personalized health reports assessing different areas of a person’s health, nutrition, fitness, and appearance. Their test kits include a wide range of products analyzing everything from how a person’s body responds differently to nutrition to their potential to become lactose intolerant. Unlike other DNA testing companies, Orig3ns doesn’t limit its products to one particular type of health test. Instead, customers can choose from an array of product lines that take an in-depth look at different aspects of health and fitness. However, Orig3n doesn’t offer any ancestry test kits.
Currently, Orig3n DNA only delivers test kits in the United States. Keep in mind that New York residents will need to confirm if their DNA sample was collected outside the state of New York. In addition, Orig3n does not offer results to Maryland residents.
Pricing and Sign-Up Process
The cost of an Orig3n DNA test kit depends on the product, and prices range between $29 up to $298. The more detailed test kits, such as the bundled fitness and nutrition report, will cost more than some of their more reasonably priced test kits costing as low as $29. All test kits come with free shipping, and customers can mail in their sample swab back to the lab in a prepaid envelope.
Test Kit & Features
Orig3n DNA has an outstanding selection of testing options that analyze various aspects of a person’s health and fitness genetic potential. With Orig3n DNA, you can get an in depth personalized health profile that looks at anything from how genes affect fitness performance to how your hair and skin will age.
Orig3n DNA test kits include:
•Fitness and Nutrition: A bundled kit that analyzes how a person can optimize their health and fitness routine based on their genes. ($298)
• Child Development: Looks at a child’s genetics makeup to uncover their potential in terms of learning, fitness, nutrition, sleep, and behaviors. ($99) Behavior: Analyzes DNA to discover how biology can affect behavior. ($79)
• Run: A report showing how DNA can impact running performance, development, and recovery. ($99) Fitness: A test kit that looks at how genes affect fitness potential. ($149)
• Superhero: Discover your “superpower” and whether your genetic talents lie in your physical strength, intelligence, or speed. ($29)
• Nutrition: A test kit that discovers how to optimize nutrition based on your genetic makeup. ($149)
• Beauty: A genetic overview of the skin and what makes it unique. ($99)
• Vitamins: This testing kit reveals how genes influence the way your body absorbs and processes vitamins. ($49)
• Metabolism: This test kit looks at how your body processes and stores fat. ($49)
• Joint Care: The joint care DNA test analyzes the strength and flexibility of bones and joints. ($39)
• Caffeine Tolerance: A test kit that reveals a person’s level of sensitivity to caffeine. ($29) Lactose Intolerance: This test looks at how a person’s body processes dairy products. ($29) Recovery & Renewal: A DNA test kit that explores how genes impact a person’s ability to recover from exercise and how to optimize recovery. ($39)
• Hunger & Weight: This DNA test kit reports on the body’s tendency to gain weight. ($49)
• Skin Health & Appearance: A report on how genes impact appearance and skin health. ($49)
• Hair: A DNA review of how thick, full, and resilient a person’s hair is and how genes will affect hair throughout the aging process. ($39)
• Folate: This test looks at how folates (folic acid) affect the body. ( $29) Skin Aging: This Orig3n DNA test looks how skin will age. ($49)
• ALDH2 Deficiency: The test kit looks at how the body breaks down acetaldehyde, a byproduct of alcohol that is also found in coffee, tea, and air pollution. ($29)
You can order and complete your Orig3n DNA test in just a few easy steps. Orig3n sells all of their products online which you can quickly purchase through the website. Within a few days, the kit will arrive at your front door.
Orig3n’s DNA test works much like any other. First, you’ll need to rinse your mouth with water. Then, you’ll take the swab from the kit and rub the inside of the cheeks for about 20 times on each side. Let the swab dry for 30 seconds before placing it into the plastic container. Orig3n DNA also has a free mobile app that users can download to scan the barcode of the cheek swab.
You can then mail the envelope back to the Orig3n DNA lab by using the prepaid envelope. In as quickly as 2-4 weeks, you can expect to test results. You can view your test results online.
Orig3n uses encryption technology to ensure that DNA results remain private and secure. Their website clearly states that they will never send customer DNA samples out to a third party including insurance companies or employers.
Orig3n DNA hosts a searchable FAQ on its website where customers can find answers to most of their questions fairly easily. Their active forum also shows discussion boards with questions and responses previously posted on the website. To get in touch with Orig3n directly, you can do so by calling their support line or submitting an online request form.
Word on the Street
Customers have generally reported a positive overall experience and enjoyed choosing from a wide range of detailed test options depending on what they are looking to discover.
|Lactose Intolerance||Skin Health & Appearance||Nutrition||Fitness and Nutrition|