Most Commonly Asked Questions About Gay Dating Sites
With so many online dating sites catering to every niche imaginable, it's become easier than ever to find love online. Previously, gay dating sites were limited to small sites catering only to gay men, nowadays, many of the world's largest dating sites offer gay dating and gay matchmaking services. This has significantly increased the number of gay dating sites which can be both good and slightly confusing.
Don’t know where to begin? Well, you've come to the right place! In addition to our extensive reviews of gay dating sites, we answer some of the most commonly asked questions about gay dating sites online to help you get started.
How Do I Get Started With Gay Dating Sites?
Getting started with anything on the internet tends to be very easy and simple, and getting started with gay dating sites is similarly, extremely easy. The first step is to find a gay dating site and determine which one is the best for you. For this, it's best to do some research on Google first. Search for the best gay dating sites, and note the key characteristics of each, i.e., whether it’s an app or a website, how much it costs, how many users it has, etc. Then all you’ll need is a phone number and/or email address in order to sign up for the site and create a profile. That’s when you can start getting matches, having conversations, and planning dates.
What Should I Look for in a Gay Dating Site?
There are a couple of main things you should look for in the best gay dating sites. The most important thing to many people is the price. Almost all dating sites operate on monthly subscription plans. This means that once you sign up you’ll have to pay a monthly price in order to use the site, similar to a gym membership or phone plan. Most sites range between $10 and $50, so make sure you’re aware what the site/app is charging.
Other things to pay attention to are the age range and niche of the site. For example, some sites might cater to young urban professionals, while other sites might cater to older suburban gay singles. In short, what you’re looking for in a gay dating site should be the same as what you’re looking for in a potential partner. If you’re looking for casual hookups, you should use a hookup app. If you’re looking for long-term relationships, you should use one of the reputable long-term relationship sites like Match, Zoosk, or others.
Is it Worth Paying for Gay Dating Sites?
The answer to this really depends on what kind of experience you’re looking for. In general, paid dating sites are the best gay dating sites. They will offer the highest quality potential matches, fewer (or no) ads, and less spam. While free sites have the advantage of being free, they tend to be inundated with fake profiles, ads, and spam. So if you want high quality potential matches and are willing to pay for it, a paid gay dating sites is probably your best choice. On the other hand, if you don’t have a lot of money to spare and you don’t mind having to wade through fake profiles and spam, you should go with a free site or app.
Furthermore, paid gay dating sites are likely to offer more tools when it comes to searching and filtering for potential matches. Meanwhile, unpaid sites may have a larger number of members and allow people to try out their site for free. Explore our reviews to compare paid vs free gay dating sites to see the value in both and choose the right one for you.
What About Gay Dating Apps?
Almost all gay dating sites have companion apps that allow you to access your profile, find matches, chat, and more. In fact, it’s the apps that tend not to have desktop sites, not the other way around. For example, popular dating apps such as Tinder and Grindr are apps only, and do not have desktop versions where you can access the same features as the app. While having an app is extremely convenient, many people enjoy using their larger desktop screens to conduct searches and fill out long questionnaires.
What Are the Best Gay Dating Sites?
• Zoosk: One of the main selling points of Zoosk is how international it is. Zoosk is an online dating service available in 25 languages and in about 80 countries. So if you’re in a developing country, or looking to use the site within the US, Zoosk will probably be one of your better options. Zoosk, like many other apps and sites, offers its service on a subscription basis. A 1-month membership will cost $29.95. The price goes down the longer the subscription so that a 3-month membership will be $19.98 per month and a 6-month membership will be $12.49 per month.
• Elite Singles: This site is just what the name implies, Elite. Its user base is made up of 'elite' singles, meaning college-educated working singles. There is no age range, and the site has elite singles of all ages. For gay singles, Elite Singles offers serious dating for professional gay men who typically range between the ages of 35 and 50.
• Match: In some ways, Match is the Tinder of long-term dating. It’s free to register, though you’ll have to pay to access some of the advanced features. You’ll be able to create a profile and then view other users’ profile based on age, sex, location, and more. Match does not cater to a specific age range—there are users of all ages on the site.
• Our Time: This website caters to gay men in their 50s, 60s, and beyond. Users can create a profile and search for potential matches according to location. This allows users to see who is closest and make a decision on who to initiate contact with. Our Time also has an app that is free to register for.
• Silver Singles: Silver Singles, like Our Time, caters to mature singles in their 50s and 60s who are looking for a long-term relationship. Silver Singles is available for free on the Google Play store. However, to truly benefit from the site's services, you'll need a paid plan. A 3 month plan will cost $44.95 per month, a 6 month plan $34.95 a month and a 12 month plan $24.95 per month.
• Tinder: Tinder is the most well-known and pervasive dating app, both for gay people and straight people. Tinder bridges the gap between hookups and long-term relationships, and everything in between. Having said that, it’s likely that many gay people on Tinder are only looking for hookups only and aren't necessarily interested in something serious. Furthermore, the age on Tinder tends to skew younger and the app is only accessible on mobile devices.