Frequently Asked Questions About VPNs for Netflix
Netflix content varies from region to region such that Netflix movies and TV shows in the USA aren't always available in other parts of the world and vice versa. To watch regionally blocked you can use a VPN to change your IP address and stream from the country of your choice.
VPNs also offer additional benefits such as online privacy and anonymity that help protect you from online hackers and thieves. Top VPNs such as NordVPN or ExpressVPN even use 256-bit encryption which is considered military grade. To get started, take a look at some of the most commonly asked questions about Netflix VPNs and start streaming from anywhere today!
Why Does Netflix Have Regional Restrictions?
Netflix is available in 190+ countries, yet content differs is almost every single one of these countries. Why is this? Netflix is governed by copyright laws. Some shows’ creators only want their programs to be viewed by a specific country and Netflix must comply.
In other cases, Netflix follows the rules made by foreign countries. In the UAE, certain programs with high levels of nudity aren’t allowed. China doesn’t support Netflix altogether, which is why the streaming network isn’t available to Chinese viewers.
Who Should Use a Netflix VPN?
Whether Netflix is blocked in your country or only a few shows are allowed, the best VPN for Netflix can help. Virtual Private Networks encrypt your Internet traffic and give you a temporary IP address that disguises your real location.
If you live in Finland, a VPN hides your IP address and gives you an IP address from any US state. In essence, Netflix will see your US IP address and show you US shows.
Apart from accessing Netflix shows not supported in your country, there are other reasons to get a VPN for Netflix. Think about your struggles of keeping up with your favorite shows when you travel abroad. There is no Netflix in China. UAE Netflix is stripped of many American shows, and Netflix India is customized for Indian viewers.
If you wouldn’t want to miss your favorite shows because you are abroad, find the best Netflix VPN provider and subscribe to its services. Of course, not every VPN works. In fact, only a few VPNs can unblock Netflix US. ExpressVPN and NordVPN unblock Netflix in any country and are the most recommended providers. Others unblock Netflix in most countries but struggle in China and the US.
What should you look for in the Best VPNs for Netflix?
When you need a VPN for a specific purpose like unblocking Netflix, there are certain features you must check. Below are some of them:
- Ability to Unblock Netflix: Netflix is always coming up with ways to detect people using VPNs to access their services. The company doesn’t support the use of VPNs and prohibits anyone using a VPN to access its services. As such, find a VPN that consistently unblocks Netflix in the US and in all other jurisdictions.
- Servers in the Countries You Want to Unblock: Most VPN Netflix providers have servers in the US, Canada, and the UK. But if you would like to unblock Netflix India, you can only succeed if your favorite VPNs have servers in India. Also, make sure the servers function properly. Having servers in a specific country isn't enough.
- High-Speed Connections and Unlimited Bandwidth: Streaming Netflix using HD device consumes a lot of bandwidth. You also can’t afford to work with a VPN that caps your bandwidth or one with slow speeds. Streaming speeds of 10Mbps or higher are decent for streaming while unlimited bandwidth shouldn’t be a negotiable feature.
- Strong Security: Many Netflix VPN companies these days combine multiple security techniques to keep you secure. The most common technique is the AES bit-256 protection method. It’s a military-grade technique that ensures your account can’t be hacked as you use the VPN. Besides security methods, features like a kill switch and no-log policies are good for your safety. With a kill-switch, your Internet traffic stays hidden in case you lose Internet connection. A no-logs policy ensures no one records your data, not even the VPN Company.
- Multiple Simultaneous Connections: At least three people should be able to enjoy the Internet securely when using a good VPN. Some companies support five or more connections, but three should be your minimum.
- 24/7 Chat Support: Since VPNs lock you to long-term contracts, you can’t afford to subscribe to a company with poor customer support. Should you lose connection, you should be able to get immediate assistance at any time of the day.
How to Watch Netflix with a VPN?
- Pick a Good VPN: Choose a good VPN that unblocks Netflix seamlessly. Your ideal VPN should use military-grade protection and shouldn’t keep logs. It should also be affordable and have good customer services.
- Install the VPN: Read the VPN's manual on how to install it. If the VPN is easy to use, you probably won't need a manual to guide you. Generally, most VPNs can be installed after a few steps. Pick a VPN format. That is a browser extension, an Android app or a PC program. Launch it, choose a server and get connected.
- Enjoy: After you connect to a server, log in to your Netflix account. If you chose a good VPN, you should be able to access all the shows and TVs you were looking for. A good VPN will also allow you to favorite certain servers or connect through the Tor browser to enhance your security.
What is the Best VPN for Netflix?
It’s no longer a debate. Streaming is the future of TV. At least 60% of US millennials stream and other generations are following suit. Netflix is the most dominant streaming network so far, but it’s not the only one. Hulu is fast catching up, and Instagram TV isn’t far behind.
Netflix’s list of popular shows and movies is endless. From thrillers like Stranger Things to Dave Chappelle’s comedy specials, horrors like Bird Box to Disney channels. Whatever your taste, there is a show for it on Netflix.
There is one problem though. Netflix limits its shows to specific geographical areas. There are shows enjoyed in New York Londoners can’t view. In some countries, you can’t enjoy Netflix at all while in others you are limited to a few movies. What’s the solution?
Below we review the best some of the best VPNs that unblock Netflix, their prices, speed, and weaknesses.
ExpressVPN is the crème de la crème of VPNs. Whether you want to unblock Netflix in China or download files on torrent sites, you can rely on ExpressVPN to secure you impeccably. There is nothing done using VPNs ExpressVPN is unable to do, which explains its Number one rank in almost all respectable VPN magazines.
Based in the British Virgin Islands, ExpressVPN serves over 50 million people with 3000+ servers located in 94 countries. To keep you secured, the VPN uses enterprise-level encryption techniques and traffic tunneling methods. Its streaming speeds range between 70Mbps in Europe and the US, and 10Mbps-30Mbps in the rest of the world.
ExpressVPN charges $12.95 per month for a license of three devices. If you choose an annual plan, the charges are slashed to $8.32 per month. The company also offers a $9.99 per month plan for their 6-month package. The VPN is available across multiple platforms, including mobile devices and smart TVs.
Launched in 2011, CyberGhost is a Romania-based VPN that boasts of having 3700+ servers and a zero-logging process to keeps its users' data anonymous. Like ExpressVPN, CyberGhost uses military-grade protection techniques and supports Tor browser to enhance your security.
CyberGhost is one of the best VPNs for Netflix, BBC, and other streaming networks. It's also one of a few VPNs that unblocks Netflix China and Netflix US. The VPN uses specific VPNs for this purpose, so specific the “Unlock streaming” feature to be linked with a server designed to unblock VPNs.
CyberGhost gives you better value for your money compared to ExpressVPN. The company’s annual plan is charged at $5.99/mo and $3.69 for the bi-annual plan. The monthly plan costs $12.95 though.
To be sure you can trust PrivateVPN’s services, the company allows you to test its services for one full month. If you are not satisfied, the Sweden-based provider gives you a full refund. PrivateVPN ranks high on security features, speed and ease of use but falls short in the number of servers supported.
The company has less than 200 servers in 59 countries. It doesn’t offer features provided by certain favorite VPNs, record ping times or filter out IP addresses. Its speeds average 40-60 Mbps while the security techniques used are enterprise-level bit-256 AES.
When it comes to Netflix support, PrivateVPN unblocks Netflix US smoothly, Netflix UK and in all of the countries where it has servers. The company’s prices are lower than most. Its monthly plan, for instance, cost $7.67. Its annual plan cost $3.82 while a 3-month package is priced at $4.88 per month.
NordVPN has all the features people love about ExpressVPN plus it’s cheaper. So, why isn’t it ranked fast? While it has more than 5,400 servers in 61 countries not all of the servers are reliable. Most of them are fast and reliable, but some are slow and unstable. Other than that, NordVPN is one of the best VPNs for Netflix, torrent downloads, gaming and securing your computer.
NordVPN unblocks Netflix smoothly in both the US and China. It works across all major platforms and supports up to 6 devices with one license. The company uses a variety of enterprise-level security methods, has DNS protection and a kill switch for extra protection.
If you pick the right plan, NordVPN is cheaper than most VPNs. Its 3-year plan costs $2.99/mo, but you pay the whole $107.55 amount. Compare that to ExpressVPN’s $99.84 for a 1-year plan, and it’s clear which company offers better value for money. NordVPNs’ $2-year plan ($95.75) is also cheaper than ExpressVPN’s one-year package. All the plans are supported by a 30-day money back policy.
Surfshark owes its growing popularity to its ability to unblock Netflix better than other more popular VPNs. It’s very fast and maintains high download speeds while you game or stream movies. Many providers tend to lower their streaming speeds, which gives Surfshark top scores in this area.
The company performs incredibly in almost all areas. From security to the ease of use, Surfshark has all the answers to your VPN needs. Of course, the company is new, has a low customer base and relatively many servers (500). However, there are many new VPNs out there that can’t top Surfshark’s services.
Surfshark is also affordable, so if you are okay with giving a new company a try, this might be the company for you. The VPN’s annual plan costs $1.99/mo or $47.76 for the total bill. Its monthly plan costs $11.95 while the biannual plan costs $5.99/mo or $71.88.